Saturday, August 7, 2010

Dork

I finished Sidin Vadukut's Dork - The Adventures of Robin 'Einstein' Verghese two weeks back and I want the rest of the trilogy NOW. I chuckled through the book and not just because Sidin (I guess I can be on first name terms with him because I have been reading his blog ever since he started writing :P) really, really has a knack for humour, but also because there was a stark similarity between some of the people I have known in my workplace(s?) and college, and the characters in this book. Some downright stupid, some annoyingly naive, some cunning to the point of no return, and some just plain forgettable. And contrary to popular belief (probably Sidin's himself :P), I did not find Robin as naive as I found him shrewd. In a very humorous way though. An example - when the man thinks about a girl in a non-platonic way, he justifies it to his diary. Now the act of justification may be naive, but the justification itself was shrewd. I am not going into details here because I don't want to spoil the humour. But I have to say that if you have gone to college and/or work, read the book. The men - both Sidin and Robin - are hilarious.

While we are on the topic of books, I happened to buy a copy of  Varsha Dixit's Right Fit Wrong Shoe. Now I can't mention the book without ranting full blow about how disgusting it is. Yes. Disgusting is the word. Here's why. I just have one suggestion for her. Before she touches a keyboard/ pen again, she should really learn where commas are needed and where they look like typos and how many commas are enough to make someone flush the book down the toilet. Also, it is enough to mention once that one of the characters in the book belonged to a filthy rich family. People remember. I promise! Implying it once on every page in not very subtle ways can get extremely annoying. Yes. So the book is annoying too. What is with Rupa? I am sure we have people who can churn out better stories. And let us face it. Not everyone can write.

And no sir, I still don't do book reviews. Please lower your expectations (in case you have any).

No comments: